Ensuring a high-quality level of service across the entire food bank network.
To provide the highest levels of safety and dignity of everyone involved, Food Banks Canada is launching national food bank standards to ensure overall operational excellence in the areas of ethics, safe food handling, financial and legal compliance, human resource management, client care, and governance.
SETTING THE BAR HIGH
FOOD BANKING CODE
FOOD BANKING CODE
Consistency, professionalism, and respect—these are just some of the guiding principles holding the national food banking community to the highest level of standards and accountability.
Food Banks Canada, the provincial associations, and affiliate food banks/programs will:
- Provide food and other assistance to those needing help regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, citizenship, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, income source, age, and mental or physical ability
- Treat all those who access services with the utmost dignity and respect
- Implement best practices in the proper and safe storage and handling of food
- Respect the privacy of those served and will maintain the confidentiality of personal information
- Not sell donated food
- Acquire and share food in a spirit of cooperation with other food banks and food programs
- Strive to make the public aware of the existence of hunger and of the factors that contribute to it
- Recognize that food banks are not a viable long-term response to hunger and devote part of their activities to reducing the need for food assistance
- Represent accurately, honestly, and completely their respective mission and activities to the larger community
Food Banks Canada provides training, resources, and consultation for volunteers and staff of affiliated food banks and agencies, so they can enhance their knowledge of food safety and best practices to keep clients safe.
Safe Food Handling eLearning Course
Designed specifically for food banks, this 3-unit course covers the important safety procedures and practices to follow when it comes to distributing food to clients. Takes 6 to 8 hours to complete.
Safe Food Handling Kit – Printed Materials
Includes program manual, posters, decals, and more.
Safe Food Handling Resources for Food Bankers
Includes digital versions of the printed materials kit, guidelines on food shelf life, and best practices in cold chain management.
We will soon be launching a more robust array of national standards that cover all areas of food bank operations including governance, administration, people management, financial, legal, client service and care, public engagement, fundraising, food operations, and safe food handling.
Stay tuned for more information about our national standards.