Food Banks Canada’s HungerCount 2023 report is showing shocking growth in food bank use that has now reached the highest levels ever recorded.
In 2023, there were almost two million visits to food banks in the month of March alone, an increase of 32 per cent compared to the previous year, and over 78 per cent compared to 2019, which is the highest year-over-year increase in usage ever reported.
While people in many communities across the country are at a breaking point, the power of small acts of kindness can make a big difference for individuals and families experiencing food insecurity during the holiday season.
Here are some of the best ways to make a positive impact:
With food banks in Canada experiencing overwhelming demand amid the cost-of-living crisis, the need for support is urgent and unprecedented. To make a food donation to your local food bank, please contact them directly to see what items are needed most.
You can use our Find a Food Bank tool to search for a food bank in your community.
One of the most efficient ways to support food banks is to make a monetary donation. Financial donations allow food banks to buy volumes of food at wholesale prices, purchase fresh food for their clients, or restock the items they are lacking.
If you can, please donate non-perishable food items or funds at the CPKC Holiday Train stop closest to you. CP Holiday Train 2023 returns from Nov. 20 through Dec. 19 for its 25th anniversary, making over 100 stops in Canada with professional musicians who will play free concerts from the train’s brightly decorated stage. CPKC makes a donation to the local food bank at each stop and encourages attendees to also donate. To learn more, please visit https://www.cpkcr.com/en/community/HolidayTrain.
From Nov. 30 until Dec. 24, 2023, you can donate food and funds through the Loblaw Feed More Families Holiday Food Drive™ by contributing in-store wherever President’s Choice products are sold. Loblaw Companies Limited is committed to matching up to $100,000 in customer donations!
Until December 24, customers also have the opportunity to donate to Food Banks Canada at the checkout at all American Eagle and Aerie locations in Canada.
Holiday Gift Ideas That Keep Giving
Several Food Banks Canada partners are providing opportunities for customers to give back this season by participating in the following campaigns:
- La Maison Simons Inc. Starting Nov. 1, 2023, for each holiday sleepwear item sold, La Maison Simons Inc. will donate 10 meals to Food Banks Canada, up to 101,140 meals!
- Questrade. For every new account opened with Questrade in 2023, one day’s worth of meals will be donated in support of Food Banks Canada. To learn more visit www.questrade.com.
- Crate + Barrel. From Nov. 16 to Dec. 24, 2023, $10 from every sale of Crate & Barrel Cookies from the Around the World Ornament Set will be donated to Food Banks Canada, and customers can make additional donations at the cash in Crate & Barrel and CB2 locations across Canada.
- Moxies. For every pint of Stella Artois sold during December at all Moxies locations in Canada, Moxies will donate $1 to Food Banks Canada, up to a maximum of $25,000. During your dining experience, you can also round up your bill in support of Food Banks Canada. *Please enjoy responsibly. Must be legal drinking age.*
- Excel Gum. Excel Gum is introducing ‘EXCEL Study Beats,’ a gum-chewing ASMR album, exclusively available on Spotify. For every stream of ‘EXCEL Study Beats’ between Nov. 28 to Dec. 15, 2023, Mars will make a $1 donation (up to $25,000) to Food Banks Canada. Each stream provides the equivalent of two meals to support people in Canada impacted by food insecurity.
Volunteering with your local food bank is another way to give back over the busy holiday season. To learn more about opportunities in your area, use our Find a Food Bank tool.
From all of us at Food Banks Canada, we wish you a happy and healthy holiday season!
Food Banks Canada provides national leadership to relieve hunger today and prevent hunger tomorrow in collaboration with the food bank network from coast to coast to coast. When you participate or donate to these holiday campaigns, you help fund the network of 4,750 food banks and community agencies who serve our most vulnerable neighbours. Thank you for supporting us as we work toward a Canada where no one goes hungry.