Poverty and household food insecurity are significant issues in Canada, and we need YOU to take action today to raise awareness and bring about change to national policies that can have a positive impact for Canadians in need.
We asked more than 1,100 food banks which policy changes would be most effective in reducing dependence in their communities. Their top 3 answers?
- Increased availability of affordable housing
- Increased social assistance benefit levels
- Raised provincial minimum wage levels
How can you help?
Hunger Awareness Week
A national week of awareness. Participate by raising food and funds during the first week of May each year. Food banks across Canada participate by hosting events. Get involved!
Say No To Hunger
Food Banks Canada is calling on the government to:
- Increase investment in affordable housing
- Ensure adequate pensions for our most vulnerable seniors
- Act to address the decline in well-paying jobs
Click here to learn more and sign the petition.
Advocate for Change
- Write to your MP or MPP. Use this sample letter template to help you get started.
- Blog about hunger and your participation in the food bank community and inspire others to get involved.
- Share your commitment with your children by making food bank volunteering a family affair.